Squatters Rights in Colorado

Squatters rights are a legal concept that allows for people to claim ownership of abandoned property. This can be useful if you need a place to stay, or if you see an opportunity to make some money off of an abandoned home.

However, squatting is basically trespassing, therefore understanding your rights as an informal squatter can help you avoid legal problems down the road while making sure things don’t get too problematic between you and the former owner or owners.

What is Adverse Possession in Colorado?

To understand how adverse possession works, it’s important to know what it is. Adverse possession is a legal concept that allows a person to gain ownership of land by occupying it for a certain period of time.

When you occupy someone else’s property, you are called an “adverse possessor” because your use of the property gets in the way with its owner’s right to use the land as they want.

In order for an adverse possessor to acquire title through adverse possession, they must meet all requirements under Colorado law (which we’ll explain below).

What Land Can I Adversely Possess?

You can only adversely possess land owned by another person; you cannot adversely possess real estate owned by yourself or someone else in joint tenancy with you. This is self explanatory

For instance: if you share ownership in real estate with another person and then take over their share without their permission—for example, if one spouse dies leaving the survivor as sole owner—you cannot claim that any part of that property is yours through adverse possession because only one person can own each parcel at any given time (even though technically both individuals legally still own equal shares).

If your neighbor goes out of the city unexpectedly and doesn’t return within three years from their last day here – even though technically still owns half interest too – he/she may be gone long enough! You could potentially file suit against them for trespass or fraud if needed but could also try filing suit against yourself if necessary since both spouses still own equal shares together.”

Legal representation
The most trusted representation for adverse possession disputes.

How do you get title to abandoned property through adverse possession in Colorado?

In order to get title to abandoned property through adverse possession, you must occupy the property for a certain period of time and pay all property taxes.

The squatter must also be in “open and notorious” possession, meaning the act of occupying is visible from the street and makes intention of hiding it.

This can include leaving doors unlocked or windows open so people know there is someone living inside. The squatter must also be in “exclusive” possession of the home, which means no one else can access to it at any time during the staying.

Finally, they must be in “hostile” possession as well as these other requirements have been met; this means that they are deliberately making their presence known on purpose instead of just moving into an empty house without permission from its owner or landlord.

A person can sue an existing owner or landlord who has failed (or refused) to return to his or her own home after leaving for any reason after meeting all of these requirements; This would provide them with sufficient evidence that both parties were aware of the other’s intentions before deciding whether or not the process should proceed further down the line regarding how exactly we should handle this situation going forward.

Is there a time limit for claiming adverse possession?

There is no time limit for claiming adverse possession. However, each state has its own statute of limitations that stipulates the amount of time you have to file suit against squatters.

Many states require you to file suit within five years of discovering a squatter on your property, but this number can vary depending on where you live. You should always consult with an attorney in your state if you have questions about whether or not you need to worry about adverse possession laws in your area.

What if the property owner lives in another state?

You will need to file a quiet title action in the state where the property owner resides if they live elsewhere. It can be filed in the state where the property owner lives or in the county where your property is located.

Do you need to file adverse possession paperwork with the county clerk and recorder?

It depends on the state. You do not need to file adverse possession paperwork with the county clerk and recorder in Colorado, but some states require you to do so. For example, in California, you need to file a Notice of Claim of Right of Possession with the county clerk within 90 days of acquiring title by adverse possession under Civil Code Section 1004.

Do all states allow you to claim abandoned property through adverse possession?

Yes, all states allow you to claim abandoned property through adverse possession.

You can only claim title to abandoned property if you have been using it for a certain period of time.

If you are thinking about claiming adverse possession, make sure that the land is truly abandoned and not just forgotten about or vacant for a short period of time. If it has been neglected for many years then this would be an ideal situation for a squatter who wants to gain ownership over the land.

Understanding your rights as an squatter can save you a lot of headaches and legal problems.

If you are considering squatting on a piece of property, it is important to understand your rights as an squatter. As long as you know what to do and what not to do, squatting can be a way to get yourself back on your feet. However, if you make any mistakes before or during the process of taking over abandoned property for yourself, then chances are you might get in trouble.


Hopefully, this post has given you a better idea of how to claim abandoned property in Colorado and how to keep yourself out of trouble.

Related posts..

quit deeds
Learn everything you need to know about quit claim deeds in this easy-to-read guide written by an experienced attorney. Discover the benefits, potential risks, and when to use this legal document for real estate transfers. Introduction A quit claim deed is a legal document that transfers ownership of real property from one person to another. It can be used to ...
Read More
trustees deed
Learn about Trustee's Deed, a legal document used in real estate transactions to secure a loan. Our beginner's guide explains what it is and how it works. What is a Trustee's Deed? A Trustee's Deed is a legal document used in real estate transactions when a borrower needs to borrow money to purchase a property. It is an agreement between ...
Read More
title house vs deed
Confused about the difference between a house title and a deed? Our blog explains the legal differences, significance, and types of titles and deeds to help you better understand your property's ownership. What is a House Title? A house title is a legal document that conveys ownership of a property. It includes the following information: The name and address of ...
Read More
deed house
Confused about what a deed is and why it's important? Our blog post provides a clear and easy-to-understand explanation of this legal document for homeowners. Learn about types of deeds, how to get one, and what to watch out for. Read now! What is a Deed? A deed is a legal document that conveys ownership of real property. It includes ...
Read More
Can You Go to Jail for Trespassing
Trespassing can result in serious legal consequences, including fines and jail time. Learn about the different types of trespassing, penalties by state, defenses, and preventive measures in this informative blog post. What is Trespassing? Trespassing is a crime that involves entering or remaining on someone else's property without permission. It's a common offense and can be charged as either a ...
Read More