Squatters Rights Kentucky – What is it?

Squatters rights, or adverse possession, is a legal concept that allows you to claim property if you live there for a required amount of years under certain conditions. In Kentucky, the requirements are as follows:

The land must be open and unconcealed.

You must possess the land as your home or place of business for at least 10 years.

What are squatters rights KY?

Squatting, or the act of occupying land or property without the owner’s permission, is a common occurrence in America. The term “squatter” usually refers to someone who occupies an abandoned building or abandoned land.

In some cases, squatters may have been evicted from their own homes and are looking for a place where they can rebuild their lives. For example, after Hurricane Katrina in 2005 many displaced families were forced to live on their neighbors’ properties because they had nowhere else to go.

In Kentucky, squatters rights are legal rights given by statute (a law passed by the legislature) that allow someone who has occupied land without permission from its owner for a certain period of time to retain possession of that property even though they don’t have any other rights over it (e.g., ownership).

What is adverse possession in Kentucky?

Adverse possession is a legal concept that allows someone to gain ownership of land they have occupied for a period of time. In Kentucky, adverse possession must meet the following requirements:

  • The defendant has been in open, notorious, exclusive and adverse possession of the property for at least 15 years.
  • There was no colorable claim by another person during this same 15-year period. This means that if another person could make a claim based on their own use or purchase during this time, then your claim would fail because there was a colorable one made by someone else. You would not be able to take over their land without them knowing about it or objecting to it!
  • The plaintiff has paid all taxes owed on said property since he took possession (if applicable).

If you meet these three conditions above, then you can file an action in court alleging that you have gained title through adverse possession.

Do you get title by adverse possession in Kentucky?

You can make a claim to property or land if you live there for a required amount of years under certain conditions.

  • You must be able to show that the owner has abandoned their property.
  • The land must be owned by someone else, not the government or public entity (like a park).

Common questions asked about adverse possession in Kentucky.

  • What is adverse possession in Kentucky?
  • How long do you have to live on the property?
  • How do you make a claim to property?
  • What is the difference between adverse possession and squatters rights?
  • What are the requirements for adverse possession in Kentucky

You can make a claim to property or land if you live there for a required amount of years under certain conditions.

You can make a claim to property or land if you live there for a required amount of years under certain conditions.

  • The land must be your primary residence, and you can’t have acquired the home or business in any fraudulent way.
  • You have to live on the property continuously for 10 years (or less if you’re married) before making your claim. If you do not personally occupy it yourself but rent it out, then this rule does not apply; however, the tenant must still meet similar requirements as those listed above for being able to claim squatters’ rights.
  • If someone else has made improvements on the property during those 10 years that are visible from outside (such as building fences), they will still own those improvements and their ownership cannot be transferred over to you upon claiming squatter’s rights unless they agree in writing beforehand—even if those improvements were built by someone who was given permission to do so by another person who lived there before them—so make sure everything is up-to-date when going through this process!


Adverse possession is not limited to Kentucky, but it does have its own set of rules. Adverse possession may be beneficial for you if you have been paying taxes on property that is not yours and would like to claim it as your own.

Related posts..

quit deeds
Learn everything you need to know about quit claim deeds in this easy-to-read guide written by an experienced attorney. Discover the benefits, potential risks, and when to use this legal document for real estate transfers. Introduction A quit claim deed is a legal document that transfers ownership of real property from one person to another. It can be used to ...
Read More
trustees deed
Learn about Trustee's Deed, a legal document used in real estate transactions to secure a loan. Our beginner's guide explains what it is and how it works. What is a Trustee's Deed? A Trustee's Deed is a legal document used in real estate transactions when a borrower needs to borrow money to purchase a property. It is an agreement between ...
Read More
title house vs deed
Confused about the difference between a house title and a deed? Our blog explains the legal differences, significance, and types of titles and deeds to help you better understand your property's ownership. What is a House Title? A house title is a legal document that conveys ownership of a property. It includes the following information: The name and address of ...
Read More
deed house
Confused about what a deed is and why it's important? Our blog post provides a clear and easy-to-understand explanation of this legal document for homeowners. Learn about types of deeds, how to get one, and what to watch out for. Read now! What is a Deed? A deed is a legal document that conveys ownership of real property. It includes ...
Read More
Can You Go to Jail for Trespassing
Trespassing can result in serious legal consequences, including fines and jail time. Learn about the different types of trespassing, penalties by state, defenses, and preventive measures in this informative blog post. What is Trespassing? Trespassing is a crime that involves entering or remaining on someone else's property without permission. It's a common offense and can be charged as either a ...
Read More